Camelot: as short as 4-1 to make up for his St Leger defeat in the ArcPICTURE: Edward Whitaker (racingpost.com/photos)
Camelot all the rage as Arc market hots up
CAMELOT has been heavily backed for the Qatar Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe with Boylesports, following their decision to offer non-runner no-bet on the race.
The Irish firm on Monday promoted the dual Derby winner to 4-1 favourite (from 9-2), after seeing sustained support since offering the non-runner no-bet concession last week.
Leon Blanche, spokesman for Boylesports, said: "We reintroduced Camelot into the betting at 6-1 last Wednesday when we went non-runner no-bet and it's really been a one-horse book since.
"We were bowled over with money from all over the place - not just in Ireland. In less than a week his price has dropped two full points and he's by far and away the best-backed horse in the Arc."
The flow of money for Camelot has escalated since trainer Aidan O'Brien told the Racing Post on Saturday that Camelot was being considered for the race following his agonising Triple Crown defeat in the Ladbrokes St Leger.
Boylesports also reported interest for Nathaniel, Danedream and Orfevre but the money was not significant, according to Blanche. He added: "Punters obviously have full security and they will get their money back if Camelot doesn't run.
"But many clearly believe he will run in the Arc and they feel he can reproduce his scintillating form which gave him the chance to go for the Triple Crown.
"The big question is: If he runs in the Arc, what will his starting price be? I think he might be shorter than 4-1 and that price could come under pressure."
Ladbrokes reinstated Camelot into their Arc market at 5-1 on Monday, while William Hill also reintroduced him at 6-1 on Sunday.